Benchmarking against peer journals is essential for understanding the performance of your journals in the context of the wider environment in which they operate — especially compared to competitor journals, but also in relation to general trends in scientific, medical, and scholarly publishing. Metrics without context are just numbers. C&E’s new benchmarking service brings context to your metrics by positioning your organization’s journals within your publishing sector.
Some of the questions we can help you answer include:
- Is your society overly generous (or not competitive) in the compensation offered to editors given the amount of work you expect them to perform?
- Are publishing turnaround times for your journals competitive?
- What is the growth trend with manuscript submissions in your cohort of journals?
- Do your journals desk-reject papers at a comparable level to peers?
- What types of specialist editors are prevalent in your field?
- How do workload expectations of your editors compare to other journals?
- How does your retention of articles via transfer compare to other journals in your discipline?
- How is open access affecting editorial policies and practices at peer journals?
We can answer these and many other questions with supporting data to inform evidence-based decisions. Editorial boards and society leadership often have questions about how their journals compare to other journals; this service will help you provide relevant and up-to-date data for editorial board meetings that can drive journal strategy and inform editorial policy.
All of the data we collect is carefully anonymized. No participants in the C&E benchmarking service are identified to other participants. Anonymization includes not simply the substitution of (for example) journal names (e.g., “Journal A” instead of International Journal of Clinical Studies) but also substitution of ranges instead of specific data points that could be used to “unmask” the identity of the journal and its publisher
We are collecting data for the following journal cohorts in 2022:
- Biomedical & life sciences
- Physical sciences
- Social sciences
For pricing, a study prospectus, and other details, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org